Monday, April 8, 2013

UNbreakable



I had a dream. No not like the Martin Luther King Jr. kind, but nevertheless I had a dream. I dream quite vividly and frequently it seems. This particular night I dreamed about being at my old home place with many people surrounding me. Inside, I happened to be in a small bathroom in the back of the house. Standing in this tiny room next to me were several girls. Some of the girls were very young. There was one particular girl from Africa. She had been adopted. Why we were in this bathroom, I couldn't tell you. What I do know is that the house had a giant mess going on inside. Everyone was leaving and in quite a hurry. Everyone, except this one little girl, who refused to leave. She said she was afraid that if she left the house that her parents would no longer want her and return her to Africa immediately. She did not want to return. I tried to assure her and the other children that it would be all right and that all we needed to do was leave the house. I assured them, all would be well. At that moment, for some reason, I turned to this small child, held her face in my hands and looked into her eyes. This came out of my mouth, although I still haven't quite understood why. I told her to repeat, out loud, after me: "The house is broken, I am not broken. The house is broken, I am not broken. The house is broken, I am not broken."

I awakened from my dream in quite a haze. The repetition of these words resounded in my mind like a musical encore that wouldn't end. "The house is broken. I am not broken." What could this mean? What DID this mean? 



The house is broken
I am not broken

The house is broken
I am not broken

 
The house is broken
I AM not broken

The 3 types of emphasis in these sentences stick out in my mind. The first is plain and can be inferred to the reader by whichever manner they desire. The second could mean that although you come from a broken house (home/family/life,etc) it does not mean that YOU are broken. And lastly, to the credit of my wise, Godly friend, this could also mean that the Church (the people within the body of Christ) is broken but (Hallelujah) the great I AM is not broken! HE is whole, HE is complete, and so is everything that is IN HIM.


The Merriam Webster dictionary defines broken:
1: violently separated into parts : shattered
2: damaged or altered by breaking:
3a: made weak or infirm; b: subdued completely 
4a: cut off : disconnected

5: not complete or full
6: disunited by divorce, separation, or desertion of one parent

Antonyms for this word include:
fixed, healed, mended, patched, rebuilt, reconstructed, repaired; infrangible, unbreakable 


We are like a bird escaped from the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken, and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. Psalm 124:7

The point, for me, is this: No matter what I see in my house/family/life, my heart- I am whole because of Jesus. If I were honest-if we all were honest-we tend to focus on things from the past that make us feel broken. However, none of these things are who I am. None of these are who YOU are. My past does not dictate MY future. Your past does not dictate YOUR future. No matter how the devil tries to remind us how broken we are, he is a liar. Jesus died and rose again to make us complete in HIM. Our identity is in HIM not ourselves. Circumstances can try to break us, but our firm foundation is in Jesus. So although the house is broken, I am not broken! I am not damaged, weak, disconnected, incomplete. NO, I am fixed, healed, mended, unbreakable in Jesus' name.

Perhaps, as in my dream, you feel like that child. You are afraid feeling helpless, and broken; but let me tell you what Jesus wants you to know, because HE lives we too can live... not lacking, not incomplete, but abundantly! If we could only see ourselves through Jesus' eyes. Just like the Samaritan woman at the well, Jesus longs to give us living water. To renew our spirits, to refresh our hearts. Her life by all accounts was broken, but after meeting with the Master at the well, she was made whole! This world truly is broken. People need Jesus. They are broken, but [the Great] I AM is not broken!

Thank you Jesus for being our healer, our deliverer, our Savior! Thank you that although there are many things in this world that are broken, YOU are not broken! Everything in you is complete, whole, and good. You and You alone are the restorer of my soul and the lifter of my head. Thank you for your gentle reminders that we are complete in you. Amen.


Be Blessed,
Be Encouraged,
Be UNbreakable!




No comments:

Post a Comment